Rangeley Snodeo More Wild Than a Bucking Bull
Hundreds of snowmobilers will gather in the Rangeley Lakes region January 22-24 for the Rangeley Snowmobile Snodeo. A variety of events and activities will take place in the neighboring towns of Rangeley and Oquossoc.
A chili/chowder cookoff with entries from local restaurants and snowmobile clubs will kick things off on Thursday. On Friday there will be a family snowmobile ride and cookout, an auction, and an evening dance with a live band.
Saturday starts with a pancake breakfast before snowmobile radar runs on Rangeley Lake’s Russell Cove. Stock and modified sleds top 100 miles per hour in the drag race-style speed runs. There will be children’s games, gingerbread cookie making, bowling with frozen turkeys and other activities. A snowmobile parade in downtown Rangeley, a pig roast and evening fireworks will wrap up the event.
For more information about the Rangeley Snowmobile Snodeo go to www.rangeleymaine.com or call 1-800-685-2537.
Snowmobiling in Maine
- Maine’s 13,500 miles of marked and groomed snowmobile trails is the most in the eastern United States. The Interconnected Trail System (ITS) stretches from Lebanon in the south to Madawaska in the north and from the White Mountain National Forest in the west to Calais in the east.
- Maine’s ITS is maintained by more than 280 volunteer snowmobile clubs of the Maine Snowmobile Association, the Snowmobile Division of the Bureau of Parks & Lands, Department of Conservation; municipalities and private landowners.
- Multiple trails lead to border crossing stations into Quebec and New Brunswick, Canada. Riders must stop at all border crossings and show a passport or photo ID and proof of insurance for their snow machine.
- Snowmobile rentals are available at sporting camps, four-season resorts, recreational outfitters and snowmobile shops.
- Visitors to Maine must obtain a Maine sled registration in order to ride in the state. One year, 10-day and 3-day registrations can be purchased online or at a local registration agent where the rider is visiting.
- Other snowmobile events: Oxford Hills Snowfest, Jan. 24-25, Norway; International Snowmobile Festival, Feb. 6-8, Madawaska and Edmundston, New Brunswick; Antique & Vintage Snowmobile Meet, Feb. 14-15, Owls Head Transportation Museum; Moosehead Lake Snofest, Feb. 14-22, Greenville.