Films Shot in Maine
The beauty of Maine has long been a scene stealer. Our state starred in feature films and television movies including Empire Falls, In the Bedroom, Message in a Bottle, Man Without a Face, and The Whales of August. You can visit the Maine locations featured in those productions and walk in the footsteps of actors including Kevin Costner, Sissy Spacek, Charlize Theron and Kathy Bates as well as legends including Paul Newman, Bette Davis, Lillian Gish and Vincent Price.
• Hit the beach: Walk along Popham Beach at the tip of Maine's Phippsburg peninsula, where Paul Newman, Kevin Costner and Robin Wright shot the 1999 film Message in a Bottle. Or, plan a picnic on Acadia National Park's Sand Beach, as Sir Michael Caine and Tobey McGuire did in the Oscar-winning 1999 movie Cider House Rules. Or, view spectacular Otter Cliffs, seen in the dramatic shots in Shutter Island, Martin Scorsese's 2010 thriller.
• Light up your life: Visit Marshall Point Lighthouse in Port Clyde, shown in the 1994 film Forrest Gump, or Portland Head Light in Cape Elizabeth, which graced the screen in the 1999 film Snow Falling on Cedars.
• Scare yourself silly: Take Bangor's "Tommyknockers and More" bus tour highlighting sites featured in Stephen King's books and films, including the 1989 film Pet Sematary and 1996's Thinner.
• Go to town: Tour Bowdoin College's campus in Brunswick, shown in 1993 movie Man Without a Face. Or stroll through the small mill town of Skowhegan, seen in the 2005 HBO mini-series Empire Falls, based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel by Maine author Richard Russo.
• Visit the harbors: Mosey around Boothbay Harbor where Carousel, starring Gordon MacRae and Shirley Jones was filmed in 1956. Or visit Camden, where Lana Turner and Hope Lange were filmed in the 1957 classic Peyton Place. Or stroll through Stonington, where scenes for 1991's Sarah, Plain and Tall were shot. Or visit Eastport, location for the 2001 mini-series Murder in Small Town X.
And don't miss Belgrade Lakes, which inspired local screenwriter Ernest Thompson to write the film On Golden Pond.