Owls Head State Park
Just 30 feet in height, the wonderful little Owls Head Lighthouse looks more imposing than it is, thanks to the rocky promontory on which it was built. Standing precisely 100 feet above sea level and overlooking West Penobscot Bay near the entrance to Rockland Harbor, the lighthouse is in active use as a navigation aid for the U.S. Coast Guard. And while the 1854 keeper’s house is not open to the public, the light and the grounds of Owls Head State Park are open daily.
President John Quincy Adams authorized the building of Owls Head Lighthouse in 1825. For braving the elements and keeping the light burning, the first keeper at Owls Head earned $350 a year. The original tower was replaced in 1852, and an 1895 oil house is still standing.
Known in the 1600s as Bedabedec Point—an Indian word for “cape of the winds”—the land now encompassed by Owls Head State Park welcomes those who love lighthouses for a pleasant several hour visit. An ample parking lot means easy access for slower walkers and anyone with kids. Enjoy lunch in the picnic grove before strolling to the lighthouse on the bluff above. A diminutive rock-strewn beach is great for the little beachcombers. And if you’re interested in local history, Owls Head State Park even includes an old cemetery within its confines.