After a particularly grizzly episode of cannibalism on this desolate rock pile, locals left food and clothing here for use of any shipwreck victim; hence the somewhat ironic name, "Boon." This tiny island, about six miles off the coast of York, has been continually submerged by storms and the light has been rebuilt several times. Today its brick cylinder rises 137 feet, making it Maine's tallest lighthouse. It is not open to the public but can be seen from Sohier Park, off Nubble Road, in York Beach and as part of local lighthouse cruises.
Boon Island Lighthouse was built in 1811.