Avery Rock is an immense granite boulder, spanning about a quarter of an acre, that rises out of the sea at the south end of Machias Bay. To save space on this barren rock, the light station was built directly on top of the keeper's house. Unfortunately, nothing of the light station remains. It was all demolished by a fierce storm in 1946.
Avery Rock Lighthouse was built in 1875.