Burnt Coat Harbor
Burnt Coat Harbor Lighthouse was built in 1872. It's name is a source of debate. Some say it comes from a Revolutionary War soldier who burnt his coat as a sign of rebellion. Others say the source is Samuel de Champlain, who called the area "Brule-Cote," or Burnt Coast, presumably because it was much used by Indians with campfires. In any case, the light sits atop a promontory marking the entrance to Burnt Coat Harbor, the island's main port. The town is restoring the light, a tapering brick rectangle. The light is at the end of Lighthouse Road. Swan's Island can be reached by ferry from Bass Harbor on Mt. Desert Island. Tours offer views from the water.