Great Duck Island
About five miles from the mainland, this island has been a favored home for seabirds, including eider ducks and petrel, which often raise their young here. The light and the island are currently owned by the Nature Conservancy, which manages it as a bird sanctuary, and the keeper's house is used for ecological research. The Maine branches of the Nature Conservancy and the Audubon Society offer occasional bird-watching tours that include views of the white, cylindrical light, and boat tours offer views from the water. A burial ground nearby has the grave of two shipwrecked men found frozen to death in each other's arms.
Great Duck Island Light Station was built in 1890.