The Brown's Head Light was built in 1832 on the offshore island of Vinalhaven. This nicely proportioned, compact station includes a fog signal in a small building shaped like a metronome. The lighthouse is at the end of Brown's Head Light Road. The light marks a popular seaway between Vinalhaven and North Haven islands. The lighthouse is rented to Vinalhaven's town manager, but the grounds are open to the public. The Maine State Ferry Service offers daily, year-round transportation to Vinalhaven Island from the Maine State Ferry System terminal in Rockland.