Fort Point Lighthouse was built in 1836. It first guided boats bound for Bangor, which in the mid-19th century was a lumbering port. The light was named for neighboring Fort Pownall, built in the 18th century to guard against French incursions. The light station includes a two-story keeper's house - attached to the light tower by a short, enclosed passageway - and a pyramidal bell tower. The station is located within Fort Port State Park, along with the remains of the old fort. The lighthouse is the residence of the park ranger. The grounds are open daily from 9 a.m. until sunset.