On the northwest side of Franklin Island, this light marks the entrance to Muscongus Bay. The light was automated in 1967 and the keeper's house and other outbuildings were demolished. But a white conical brick light tower still operates. It can be seen, faintly, from the Rachel Carson Salt Pond Preserve on route 32 in New Harbor, or by cruise.
Franklin Island Light was built in 1807.