This light and the island are named for a small body of fresh water that allegedly can be found here, although no one seems to know quite where the pond is. The white stone light was Maine's first river light, marking the entrance to the Kennebec River. It is currently managed as a bird refuge by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The light can be seen from Popham Beach.
Pond Island Light was built in 1821.