Seguin Island Light Station was built in 1795 on a small island about 2 miles from the mouth of the Kennebec River. The large, powerful light, standing 180 feet above the water, contrasts strikingly with the modest, red-brick keeper's quarters. This was Maine's first offshore station. The light can be seen from Popham Beach. Connie Scovill Small lived here and wrote about it in a memoir, "The Lighthouse Keeper's Life."