Whitehead Light was commissioned in 1803 and was the seventh lighthouse commissioned in the United States. It has been in continuous operation ever since. The station is now owned by Pine Island Camp, which has renovated the historic structures and uses them for educational programs. The U.S. Coast Guard maintains and operates the light. For more information about both the history of the Light Station and the programs offered there today, visit www.whiteheadlightstation.org.