Cape Elizabeth "Two Lights"
This station was immortalized in several paintings by Edward Hopper in the 1920s. One of these was reproduced on a US postage stamp commemorating Maine's 150th anniversary in 1970. For many years there were two light towers here, one with a fixed beam and one flashing, to help mariners establish their positions. The west tower was discontinued in 1924, when officials decided it was redundant. Today it is privately owned. The east tower, now automated, still serves as a navigational aid. The lighthouse and immediate grounds are not open to the public, but Two Lights State Park, just off route 77, is named in honor of this station.
Cape Elizabeth "Two Lights" was built in 1828.