The Cape Elizabeth Light Station, or "Two Lights," was established in 1828. These beautiful lights were immortalized a century later in several paintings by Edward Hopper. One painting was reproduced in 1970 on a US postage stamp commemorating Maine's 150th anniversary.
For many years, the station included two light towers - one with a fixed beam, the other flashing. These helped mariners establish their positions. The west tower was discontinued in 1924, when officials decided it was redundant. Today, it is privately owned. The east tower, now automated, still serves as a navigational aid. The east tower and immediate grounds are not open to the public. Two Lights State Park, nearby off route 77, is named in honor of this station.