This Georgian mansion was built in 1785 by shipbuilder and merchant Col. Jonathan Hamilton. After railroads made coastal Maine accessible in the late 19th century, the area became fashionable for wealthy "summer people," who bought and refurbished many historic homes. In 1898, Mrs. Emily Tyson and her stepdaughter, Elise, purchased the Hamilton House and restored it. Influenced by literary imagery, they used antiques, murals and country furnishings to create their own romantic interpretation of America's colonial past. The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.