Historic Coast Guard photo of Kennebec River Range Lights
The Kennebec River, or Doubling Point, Range Lights were built in 1898. This station consists of two white, wooden octagonal towers containing special "range" reflector lights, along with a clapboard keeper's house. The two towers stand just 13 and 21 feet high respectively and are connected by a wooden walkway. Mariners heading north on the Kennebec use the two beacons to help them line up their ships before making a potentially treacherous turn.