1850 photo of the Prospect Harbor Point Light. The lighthouse has changed considerably since this photo was taken.
1891 photo of the Prospect Harbor Point Lighthouse.
Prospect Harbor Point Light was established in 1850. The original granite lighthouse was replaced by a 38-foot tall wooden lighthouse in 1891. The white cylindrical lighthouse with a black lantern top nicely matches the keeper's house, a classic New England clapboard home with black trim. The U.S. Navy owns and uses the former lightkeeper’s dwelling and outbuildings – all except for the light tower, which is owned by the U.S. Coast Guard and licensed to the American Lighthouse Foundation.