Spring Point Ledge Light was built in 1898 to warn mariners of a dangerous ledge in Portland Harbor. The light resembles a giant spark plug.
The light sits at the end of a granite breakwater connected to the campus of Southern Maine Community College in South Portland. The lighthouse is owned by the Spring Point Ledge Light Trust and is open to the public on certain weekend days from June through September.
To visit Spring Point Ledge Light, head south on Route 77 in Portland. Continue on Broadway in South Portland. Turn right on Pickett Street and then left onto Fort Road, which ends at Fort Preble and a parking area.