Maple Bread Pudding
- ¾ cup plus ¼ cup Maine maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon butter at room temperature
- 6 slices bread, with or without crusts (baguette, crusty bread, or cinnamon raisin bread)
- 4 eggs
- 2 eggs yolks
- 2 cups light cream
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or rum
- ½ cup currants, golden raisins, or dried cranberries
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Grease a 3-quart baking dish. Pour in the syrup and lemon juice. Butter each slice of bread on one side and cut into ¾-inch cubes.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, cream, cinnamon, nutmeg, sea salt, and vanilla or rum. Add fruit and bread cubes and toss just until coated. Pour into baking dish. Bake 1 hour. The syrup will sink to the bottom and create a layer of thick maple goodness. Drizzle with another ¼ cup maple syrup and serve.
From Delicious Maine Desserts by Cynthia Finnemore Simonds