Bar Harbor Salad with Blueberry-Maple Dressing
Two special northern New England delights marry to create this delicate dish. A touch of maple syrup with the sweet/tang of fresh Maine blueberries make this salad perfect for young and old palates alike.
- ½ cup blueberry vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup pure Maine maple syrup
- 2 tables Stonewall Kitchen Cranberry Mustard
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 cups Boston lettuce, washed and dried
- 3 cups red lettuce, washed and dried
- 1 lb cooked lobster meat
- 4 tablespoons blue cheese or Roquefort
- 6 red onions rings (optional)
- 4 tablespoons toasted macadamia nuts or walnuts
- ½ cup fresh Maine blueberries
In a medium bowl, whisk all dressing ingredients together to blend. Chill while you are preparing the salad.
Put lettuces in a nonreactive bowl and drizzle with dressing until lettuce is thinly coated. Divide lettuce evenly among 4 individual salad plates. Top each salad with an even distribution of lobster meat, onion rings, blue cheese, nuts, and blueberries.
To toast the nuts, break them up into coarse chunks and place in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Heat in preheated 350°F oven for about 5 minutes.
Quick Blueberry Vinegar
Here’s a fast and easy shortcut for making blueberry vinegar. Mix equal proportions of Wyman’s blueberry juice with white vinegar and let the mixture sit in the refrigerator overnight. Use it just like regular vinegar in recipes of your choice.
From Fresh Maine Salads by Cynthia Finnemore Simonds